- Trim rind from bacon and cut into small pieces.
- Peel and slice onion. Chop tomatoes.
- Melt butter in a pan.
- Fry bacon for 2 minutes.
- Add onion, tomatoes and bay leaf. Cover and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add water, crumbled stock cube, nutmeg and sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes until soft. Remove bay leaf.
- I'ass mixture through a sieve or put in an electric blender until smooth.
- Return mixture to pan and thicken with cornflour blended with a little water.