This scrumptious and easy Tiramisu recipe is one of the most widely recognized Italian desserts. In Italian the word for this sweet dessert actually means "pick me up", likely referring to the caffeine-laden espresso used to make this delectable treat. I recommend you actually use real espresso in this recipe, as the authentic flavor of the dish only shines through when real Italian ingredients are used. Also, you may find it difficult to find Savoiardi (ladyfingers) that adequately soak up the coffee. I suggest looking for an Italian brand cookie, and if you can't find it at the grocery store, an import store should carry these. Then get ready to make a "WOW"-ing dessert!
- 250 grams Mascarpone
- 3 tbsps sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
- 3 cups sweetened espresso
- 200 grams ladyfingers (these are great: DeLallo Savoiardi)
- powdered cocoa
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cheese, egg yolks and sugar. Slowly fold in the whipped cream.
- Dip each of the ladyfingers completely into the coffee, flipping over to coat each side. Arrange in a single layer in the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish. (You may need to cut some of the cookies in order to make one flat layer.)
- Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the cookie layer.
- Repeat the process with another layer of soaked cookies, and top with the remainder of the creamy mixture
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Before serving dust the top with cocoa powder.
- Sit back and let the taste take you away