- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1½ cups, mashed (preferably overripe)
- 1 cup active Sourdough Starter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted plain flour (I often use half wholemeal)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup grain mix soaked for a few hours or your favourite nuts (I often soak my grains in whey)
- Make sure your starter is very active. Mine lives in the fridge so the night before I take it out and feed it.
- Mix the melted butter and sugar until the sugar starts to dissolve. Mix in the beaten egg and starter. Add the vanilla and banana and mix well.
- Mix the dry ingredients well together and then stir them into the mix with the soaked grains, Only mix until just coming together.
- Pour into a greased bread tin and leave for at least 20 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about an hour or until cooked through. You can test the inside temperature with a thermometer and it should be around 90C when done.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before turning onto a rack.
- I like to slice it up and freeze each piece wrapped in foil for work lunches,