- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening (butter, marg or lard)
- 80 ml cold water
- Place mince, salt, pepper, finely chopped onion, herbs and water in a saucepan.
- Cook gently, stirring frequently until meat and onion are cooked.
- Blend flour with extra water and stir into meat mixture to thicken. Allow to cool.
- Sift flours and salt into a bowl.
- Rub in shortening with fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and gradually add cold water, stirring with a knife to make a dry dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured board. Roll out thinly to a square.
- Place spoonfuls of meat mixture along edge of pastry.
- Turn edge of pastry over, then again so that filling is completely enclosed.
- Cut along edge of pastry with a sharp knife.
- I 1 Repeat with remaining filling and pastry.
- With back of knife, flatten rolls slightly at 1 cm intervals
- Brush rolls over with egg and milk. Cut rolls into 5 cm pieces.
- Place rolls on greased baking trays and bake in a moderate to hot oven for
- to 20 minutes or until golden brown.