Plain Sponge Cake
- Separate eggs and place whites in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until the mixture thickens and sugar is dissolved.
- Add egg yolks and mix evenly through.
- Sift flour and cornflour three times.
- Fold dry ingredients into egg mixture.
- Heat water and butter gently until butter is melted.
- Fold into sponge mixture.
- Pour mixture into two well greased and floured 18 cm sponge sandwich tins.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 20 minutes.
- Cover a wire rack with a clean tea towel, turn cakes out of tin and invert so tops are uppermost.
- When cakes are completely cold, fill with whipped cream and ice with passionfruit icing.