- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small can of crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- Mix crushed pineapple and cornflour together in a saucepan.
- Stir over gentle heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Allow to cool.
- Sift flours and salt into a bowl.
- Rub butter into flours until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Beat egg, milk and sugar together.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and gradually add egg mixture, stirring with a knife to make a dry dough.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly
- Roll out to line a 20cm pie plate. Trim and decorate edges.
- Pour filling into pie case.
- Roll out the rest of the pastry and cut into 12 mm wide strips.
- Use the strips to make a latticework on top of pineapple.
- Bake in a moderate to hot oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with custard or icecream.