- Have veal shanks cut into 3cm pieces
- Peel and chop onions, Scrape carrots and slice, and chop celery.
- Heat oil in a large pan and saute onions until tender and golden brown.
- Remove and place in a large ovenproof dish.
- Saute carrots and celery until pale golden, Remove from pan and add to onions.
- Roll shanks in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Brown well in hot oil.
- Arrange shanks on top of vegetables, standing them upright so that marrow will not fall out during cooking.
- Add bay loaf, crushed garlic, thyme, basil and lemon rind.
- Mix tomato paste and water
- Add crumbled stock cube and salt and pepper. Pour over shanks.
- Cover and bake in a moderate oven for 4 hours or until meat is almost falling off the bones.
- Ten minutes before serving add extra celery and grated lemon rind.
- Serve with hot rice or mashed potato.