- Sift icing sugar into a bowl.
- Work in softened butter. Add a few drops vanilla.
- Add sufficient warm water to make a smooth paste. Beat well.
- Divide icing into three portions.
- Colour one portion pink with a few drops of cochineal.
- Blend cocoa with a little hot water and add to second portion.
- Leave the third portion white.
- Taking each colour in turn, spread icing in strips 12 mm wide across surface of cake.
- Draw a skewer, dipped in hot water down the length of the cake so colours are drawn together.