This recipe includes home made lasagna sheets. If you wish you can use fresh or dried sheets you have purchased in place of the homemade ones.
- 5 eggs
- 500 grams flour
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- handful of tasty or parmesan cheese
- 600 grams beef mince
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or chopped finely
- 2 400g tins of diced tomatoes
- 1 carrot, chopped finely
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- Grated Cheese to top
- Sift flour into a bowl making a well in the centre. Add the eggs. Using two fingers starting beating the eggs, letting the flour slowly combine into the eggs. Keep mixing until you have a dough ready to knead.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes. It needs to be smooth and pliable (a bit like playdough). You may need to add more egg or flour depending on consistency.
- When the dough is smooth wrap in plastic wrap and leave for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough to about 1cm thick and cut into 6 pieces. Using a pasta machine or hand roller roll to about 1 - 2mm thick (thin). To keep the dough squarish run through the machine on the thickest setting a few times, folding it like an envelope each time to removes the round edges.
- Cut into appropriate size sheets, mine are about 12cm long and as wide as the machine. Keep between baking paper while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from heat. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until mixture is smooth. Return to heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 10 to 12 minutes or until sauce comes to the boil, thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese and nutmeg.
- Heat the oil and lightly fry the garlic and onion. Add the mince and veges and stir until browning. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the liquid is reducing. Leave some liquid to help the pasta cook.
- Preheat the oven to 180 celsius.
- Lightly grease a lasanga dish that is around 22 x 28cm.
- Remove the bay leaves. Spoon just enough meat sauce in to cover the bottom. Lay out a layer of pasta sheets. Cover with bechamel sauce. Add another layer of meat sauce, then pasta sheets and bechamel sauce. Repeat once more, ending with bechamel sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cooked and the cheese is browning. About 40 minutes.