- Beat butter and sugar to a cream.
- Add egg yolk and beat well.
- Sift flour, soda and ginger together.
- Add to creamed mixture with warmed syrup. Mix well.
- Turn mixture on to lightly floured surface.
- Knead lightly and roll out to 3 mm thickness.
- Cut out gingerbread-man shape in biscuits.
- Using a spatula, lift carefully on to a lightly greased oven tray.
- Press in currants for eyes, glace cherries for nose and strips of peel for mouth.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool on trays.