- 1 quantity biscuit pastry
- Prepare biscuit pastry according to recipe.
- Line a 20 cm pie plate making sure there are no breaks in the pastry.
- Brush base and sides of pastry with lightly beaten egg white. This gives a light seal to the pastry and helps to stop the uncooked custard seeping through
- Make a decorative edge on pastry with the tip of a lightly floured teaspoon
- Beat eggs, vanilla and sugar together.
- Heat milk lo lukewarm and gradually stir into egg mixture.
- Put pie plate on to oven tray. Carefully spoon the custard mixture into the crust.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 50 to 55 minutes.
- After 15 minutes cooking time sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Do not overcook. Custard will firm as it cools.