- 250 ml water
- 1 cup plain flour
- 75 g butter
- 3 large eggs
- pinch salt
- Place water, butter and salt in a saucepan. Bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat, add flour all at once and beat until smooth.
- Return to heat and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture leaves the sides of the saucepan.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Add lightly beaten eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Continue beating until mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Drop teaspoons of mixture on to greased oven trays.
- Bake in a hot oven for 10 minutes, reduce heat to moderate and bake for further 15 to 20 minutes, depending on size of puffs.
- When cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool.
- When cold, remove soft centres.
- Fill with whipped cream or custard cream.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Makes about 10