- Heat oil and brown meat well. Remove from pot. Lower heat and fry off vegies until lightly browned. Remove.
- Sprinkle pan with the flour, stir along with the oil remaining in the pot, until the roux is light russet brown - this part is important as it imparts soooo much more flavour to the finished dish if you take the time to do this properly...
- Stir in stock, tomato paste, garlic and bring to a boil. Readd meat and vegies with the juices and add bay leaves.
- Pour into large casserole and cook in preheated 170C oven (150 fan forced) for about 2½ hours.
- Stir once during cooking time.