- Heat 2 tbls of butter in a large frypan. Add the chicken and brown it on all sides. Remoce from the pan.
- Peel and cut carrots and parsnips into big pieces. Peel onions. Peel the potatoes and cut cut in half.
- Saute the veges in the pan until they are golden then remove.
- Melt the rest of the butter and add the flour and stir over heat until it is brown but don't burn it.
- Remove from the heat and add the water and mix.
- Add the stock, tomato paste, worcestershire, herbs, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Return to the heat and stir until it boils and thickens.
- Put the chicken into a large saucepan and pour over the sauce. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and cover. Simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Add the veges and simmer for another 30 mins or until the veges are tender.
- Keep the chicken and veg warm while you bring the sauce to the boil and boil uncovered until a gravy thickness.