- 500 grams of topside or rump steak cut into stir fry size strips
- 250 grams button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon of dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cornflour or riceflour
- Fry the steak, seasoned with salt and pepper, in batches in the peanut oil. Remove and add more oil to the pan if needed then fry the mushrooms, onion and garlic.
- Add the steak back to the pan and all ingredients except the cream and flour. Cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Mix the flour into the cream, making sure there are no lumps. Add to the pan and stir well. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes until thickened.
- Serve with rice or pasta.